– Sea2Land –
GENERAL OBJECTIVE of the project is
to provide solutions to help overcome future challenges related to food production, climate change and waste reuse. The SEA2LAND project aims to meet this challenge by improving and adapting technologies for nutrient recovery to produce bio-based fertilisers (BBFs) and Tailor Made fertilisers (TMFs) from fishery and aquaculture by-products generated in Europe.
In the long term, this will encourage the production at large-scale of fertilisers in the EU from non-imported organic or secondary raw materials, on the side of the circular economy model, transforming by-products into nutrients for crops.
Therefore, SEA2LAND will contribute to independence and security in the supply of nutrients to European agricultural systems, mitigating the existing nutrient imbalance in Europe. SEA2LAND will evaluate the replacement of conventional raw materials with biologically based raw materials (fish / aquaculture by-products) with available nutrients that meet quality and safety requirements).
SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES are:
1. Update and record the intra and interregional nutrient imbalance in Europe.
2. Promote and scale technologies for recovering nutrients from by-products that will enable Europe to substitute synthesis fertilisers by bio based fertilisers.
3. Diminish GHG emissions coming from fertilisers production.
4. Obtain bio-based fertilisers that will provide nutrients and other compounds that ensure crop production increasing soil fertility and diminishing GHG emissions.
5. Assure the soil quality and health, improving its biodiversity and fertility by these new fertilisers supply increasing biodiversity, and at the same time.
6. Encourage the circular economy and the short chains channels by implementing local and circular business models that will boost rural development and population settlement.
7. Establish the correspondence between geographical, climatological, technological and social conditions and their corresponding business model to design sustainable and circular models based on SEA2LAND obtained experience.
8. Raise awareness in society regarding the recovery of by-products and the use of new bio-based fertilisers and the positive effects on the soil, air and health of the bio-based fertilisers produced.